Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It’s an industry that’s been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people’s lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
We’re looking for a Senior User Researcher to join our Product team and help us create experiences that improve and transform our customer’s lives. You’re a passionate user advocate that owns and communicates user insights that lead to strong recommendations and successful outcomes.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Work directly with other senior researchers, product managers, designers and engineers to discover and design better ways to help customers explore, shop and receive groceries
- Define success metrics, goals and testable hypotheses, then plan research activities based on those definitions
- Lead research with customers and shoppers to identify meaningful insights that fuel improvements to our product features and ignite new ones
- Communicate and present insights to various stakeholders in a clear and persuasive manner
- Facilitate and help shape the design process
- 5+ years conducting research in a consumer-focused product organization - bonus points if the product served multiple customer types
- Proven ability to integrate insights into product design and a user-centered design practice
- Expertise in user research, information architecture and interaction design, and clear and compelling written and presentation delivery
- Deep understanding and experience with various qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and techniques such as contextual inquiries and interviewing, usability testing, surveys, workshop facilitation, usage data analysis and triangulation
- Ability to use research insights to develop personas, journey maps and process flows
- A passion for user research, the customer and a truly collaborative spirit
- Ability to self-manage, self-motivate and deal with large amounts of complexity and ambiguity
- Willingness to do whatever needs to be done, from recruiting and managing technical setup for a study to planning complex research projects
- Experience managing concurrent projects involving cross-functional teams
- Degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, Human Factors, Anthropology, a related field or the equivalent experience